The Formal Gardens were constructed in 1931 by George F. and Stella Elkins Tyler to provide a formal landscape setting for their estate, Indian Council Rock. The four-tier Formal Gardens were influenced by French and Italian gardens and feature varieties of flora, beautiful lush lawns, dramatic stone walls and staircases, gravel walks, fountains, and bronze sculptures.
Indian Council Rock, which was the property‘s original name derived from a time when early Native American tribes counseled on an adjacent cliff had all the trademarks of a typical country estate during the early to mid-1900s: an impressive mansion, an outstanding collection of art and antiques, a thriving agricultural and dairy operation on extensive land holdings, and a formal terraced garden—complete with customary features of early twentieth-century horticulture.
The Tyler mansion is arguably the grandest home ever built in Bucks County and believed to be the last of the “great estates” ever constructed in the United States. In 1987, Tyler Hall (as the mansion is now known) and Tyler Formal Gardens were placed on the National Register of Historical Places.